Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Recycled Tie Couture

Step One:
 Score a used man's tie at a thrift store. This one, which is 100% silk, cost $2.


Step Two:
Select a pin. This one is part of my "Traveling Shoes" series, made from found scrap metal and an old smashed silver Mexican huarache charm.

Step Three:
Loop the tie once around your neck and bring the two ends together with the narrower end underneath. This will automatically set the tie at a jaunty angle. Secure with your pin. In this shot, the tie has been looped twice around the neck.


Here's another take, using a vintage carved wood bird pin. This turns out to be not only a way of using old ties, but a really good way of featuring pins. In this shot the tie has been looped once around the neck.


4 comments:

  1. ... yes. perfect. i am so going to rock this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would think that a pin and an old tie would perfectly fit? I guess, you just did. Creativity really matters in creating stuffs like these. But if you’ll ask me which of the two is better, I’ll choose the carved wood bird pin. Although I still like the pin which you mentioned part of your "Traveling Shoes" series, I love more the carved wood bird pin. I just love woodworks. One of my hoobies is actually to do homemade woodshop projects. I commend you for this recycled tie couture. Not just you have shown such creative power, but you are helping the environment as well for recycling. I love to see more of your works in the days to come.

    Steve
    www.woodworkingplansntips.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just gotten lost in your blog. I think I'm hooked:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the post! This looks just great, I never would have thought of doing this on my own. It looks easier than following a set of storage shed plans, that's for sure. I can't wait to commandeer some of my brother's ties and try this out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails